Constitution for Friends of Tarradale
1. This is the constitution for Friends of Tarradale which has been formed with the following objectives:
▪ To work in partnership with the school to create a welcoming school for all parents
▪ To promote partnership between the school, its pupils and parents
▪ To develop and participate in activities which support the education and welfare of the pupils
▪ To identify and represent the views of parents on the education and welfare provided by the school
3. The membership will be a minimum of 6, and a maximum of 15 parents of children attending the school.
4. The F.O.T will be selected for a period of two years
Any parents of a child at the school can volunteer to be a member of the F.O.T. In the event that the number of volunteers exceeds the number of places set out in the constitution, members will be selected by random selection. Anyone not selected to be a member of the F.O.T may be offered the opportunity to be part of any subgroups set up by the F.O.T.
5. A proportion of the F.O.T will be made up of school parents and one third of the membership will be reserved for other co-opted members including teaching and support staff in the school.
The number of parent members on the F.O.T must always be greater than the community members.
Community members will be invited to serve for a period of two years, after which time the F.O.T will review requirements.
6. The Chair, Secretary and Treasurer of the F.O.T will be agreed by the F.O.T immediately following its formation.
Officer bearers will be re-selected by the F.O.T on an annual basis (at the annual meeting of the F.O.T)
7. The F.O.T is accountable to the school parents for Tarradale Primary and will make a report to it at least once each year through the A.G.M.
If members of the school parents request a special general meeting to discuss issues falling within the Council’s remit, the F.O.T shall arrange this. The F.O.T shall give all members of the Forum at least (2 weeks) notice of the meeting and, at the same time, circulate notice of the matter, or matters, to be discussed at the meeting.
8. The Annual Meeting will be held in October of each year. A notice of the meeting including date, time, and place will be sent to all members of the school parents at least 2 weeks in advance. The meeting will include:
▪ A report of the work of the F.O.T
▪ A selection of the new F.O.T
▪ Discussion of issues that members of the school parents wish to raise
▪ Approval of the audited accounts for the financial year ending 31st August
9. The F.O.T will meet at least once in every school term.
Should a vote be necessary to make a decision, each parent member at the meeting will have one vote, with the Chair having the casting vote in the event of a tie.
10. Copies of the minutes of all meetings will be made available to all parents and to all teachers at the school via the notice board or school office. Copies are available on request.
11. Meeting of the F.O.T shall be open to the public, unless the F.O.T is discussing an issue which it considers should be dealt with on a confidential basis. In such circumstances, only members of the F.O.T and the Head Teacher, his or her representative, can attend.
12. The Treasurer will open a bank or building society account in the name of the F.O.T funds. Withdrawals will require the signature of the Treasurer and nominated signatories.
The Treasurer will keep an accurate record of all income and expenditure, and will provide a summary of this for each F.O.T meeting and a full account for the Annual Meeting. The F.O.T accounts will be audited by the auditor appointed at the previous Annual Meeting.
The F.O.T shall be responsible for ensuring that all monies are used in accordance with the objectives of the F.O.T.
13. The F.O.T may change its constitution after obtaining consent from members of the Parent Forum. Members of the Parent Forum will be sent a copy of any proposed amendment and given reasonable time to respond to the proposal.
14. Should the F.O.T cease to exist, any remaining funds will be passed to the education authority to be used for the benefit of the school funds.